The Uniform Law Commission (ULC), a nonprofit organization representing state governments, seeks an Accounting and Finance Officer to join its administrative team headquartered in downtown Chicago. The role involves strategic oversight of the finances of the ULC and the Uniform Law Foundation, including presentation of financial statements to board members.
The Accounting and Finance Officer is responsible for the management, maintenance, and improvement of all financial and accounting systems, processes, and procedures.
- Manage the organization’s finances, including payroll, budget preparation and administration, audit preparation, financial reporting, and compliance with state and federal requirements.
- Maintain and develop accounting processes and procedures in accordance with GAAP requirements and industry best practices.
- Assist with administration of organization’s employee benefits, including health insurance, 457(b) and 401(a) retirement plans, and Section 125 plans.
- Manage financial modules and information in organization’s AMS database.
- Assist with grant procurement and management, including budgets and compliance reporting.
- Prepare and file all regulatory and compliance documents, including 990s, 1099s, and bond covenant compliance documents.
- Provide board support to, and assist with development activities of, the ULC’s associated foundation - the Uniform Law Foundation.
- Supervise and review work of the organization’s full-time bookkeeper.
Attendance at the ULC’s seven-day annual meeting each summer is also required.
Desired Skills and Experience
The Accounting and Finance Officer position requires:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance from accredited college or university;
- CPA accreditation;
- Broad knowledge of financial regulations and industry best practices;
- Strong accounting and regulatory research, analytical, and writing skills;
- Integrity, candor, professionalism, and the ability to adjust to changing demands; and
- A minimum of 3-5 years of financial management experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics or other CRM database.
- Not-for-profit or public accounting experience a plus.
The successful applicant, who will be highly organized and able to manage multiple ongoing projects, must have excellent attention to detail, the ability to communicate well in a variety of settings, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work cooperatively with commissioners and staff colleagues.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position located in the ULC office in downtown Chicago (although all members of the ULC staff are currently working remotely part of the time). All ULC staff is subject to a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. The starting salary for the Accounting and Finance Officer is $85,000-$95,000 commensurate with experience. The ULC offers a competitive benefits package including health, disability, life, and dental insurance; eleven paid holidays and two paid personal leave days annually; three weeks of paid vacation time annually; and a retirement plan with employer contributions. Anticipated start date mid-February to mid-March of 2022.
The deadline for applications is December 10, 2021. Please send a cover letter, résumé, and financial writing sample to email@example.com and include “Accounting and Finance Officer” in the subject line. References may be requested. An equal opportunity employer, the ULC welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.